InterClimate Network seeks Trustee and Secretary of the Board
This is an exciting volunteer opportunity to join the governing body of a leading youth climate action NGO working with schools and partners across the UK to accelerate climate action and promote the voices of young people in their own sustainable future. InterClimate Network (ICN) is seeking to appoint a new Secretary of the Board and a new Trustee.
The post-holders will work collaboratively with the existing Board members to ensure the charity’s good governance, with a near-term objective of supporting the delivery of the charity’s programme in the run-up to the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow in November 2021.
About InterClimate Network
ICN’s vision and objective: Climate change is the challenge of our generations. It is critical that youth are empowered to act on climate change but there is currently a lack of educational opportunities and tools to support action across lifestyle, career and society. InterClimate Network is a charity which works across the UK to empower and enable young people to lead and advocate for environmentally sustainable behaviours, career choices, and societal change.
How we deliver: Working with schools across the UK, ICN organises interactive events, produces educational resources, and acts as a network for sharing climate-focused opportunities with teachers and students. ICN engages students aged from 13 to 18 about the challenges posed by climate change. Our educational programmes promote young voices in discussions about climate sustainability and inspire student-led climate action.
2021 presents a unique opportunity for young people in the UK to become involved in climate action. The UN Climate Change Conference scheduled to be held November 2021 is an opportunity for young people in the UK to have their voices heard. It is also a chance for them to be inspired into action. ICN has developed a highly successful education programme in five regions and now have ambitious plans to scale up to a national level and to seize the opportunity of the climate conference.
About the roles
We are now in need of additional trustees to help move our work forward, building on our successes so far, and seizing current and future opportunities. ICN is searching for passionate, dedicated volunteers to fill two positions on our board on a voluntary basis: Secretary of the Board and Trustee.
As Secretary of the Board, you would work closely with the ICN Chair and other trustees to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the Board of Trustees, including:
- ensuring effective monthly board meetings by scheduling as needed; drafting of agendas to ensure key issues are discussed in a timely manner; minute taking and record keeping; compiling and filing agendas, notes, attachments and supporting documents
- maintaining thorough, accurate, up to date charity and trustee records and official data with Companies House and the Charity Commission; filing the annual statement; working with the chair to ensure submission of annual accounts; maintaining the trustee register; keeping up to date with relevant news and updates from Charity Commission and Companies House.
- ensure rigorous and up to date charity governance, by working closely with operations trustee to maintain and annual review the charity governance documents including roles and responsibilities, policies and procedures, records of inductions of volunteers, articles of association and other governing documents
- engagement with the ICN team, including advisors, associates and delivery teams, and working groups (fundraising, communications) on board activity and the delivery of ICNs work
- participation in some ICN events
- a willingness to dedicate at least 8 hours per month to ICN
As a Trustee, you would bring an enthusiasm for the ideals of ICN and a passion for climate sustainability. We seek a Trustee, and ideally a candidate from a diverse background and of an age that is closer to our student audience, who could bring fresh and lived experiences and perspectives on climate justice and intersectionality, while helping us with our strategy and engagement with young people, schools and education institutions. Ideally you would be willing to volunteer at least 4 hours per month.
We are committed to improving diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage youth, women, and candidates from disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.
Should you be interested in applying for either role, please send a short note of motivation and CV to email@example.com, by 31st May.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you would like further information on this opportunity or are interested in supporting the work of ICN in other ways.