As Head of Fundraising, you will play a critical role in supporting and guiding the fundraising efforts of a growing youth climate action NGO working with schools and partners across the UK to accelerate climate action and promote the voices of young people in their own sustainable future.
You will contribute your expertise and experience to help shape the strategic direction of the fundraising activities, ensuring they align with the charity’s mission, values, and legal requirements. Your primary focus will be to maximize fundraising income through identification and completion of fundraising requests, broaden the charity’s supporter base, and strengthen its financial sustainability.
About InterClimate Network
Our vision and objectives: Climate change is the challenge of our generation. It is critical that youth are empowered to act on climate change but there are currently a lack of educational opportunities and tools to support action across lifestyle, career and society. InterClimate Network (ICN) is a UK registered charity that empowers young people with the skills, knowledge and confidence to lead the debate and action on climate change and to make informed educational and career choices.
How we deliver: Working with schools across the UK, ICN organises interactive events, produces educational resources, and acts as a network for sharing climate-focused opportunities with teachers and students. ICN engages students aged from 13 to 18 about the challenges posed by climate change. Our educational programmes promote young voices in discussions about climate sustainability and inspire student-led climate action.
Our history and ambition: Since our charity was registered in 2003 we have been engaging and inspiring our youth to become climate leaders and to pursue careers in this critical field. In 2023 we released our 22/23 climate action survey incorporating the views of 10,000 young people across the country and we have delivered seminars, conferences and workshops to more than 7,500 school children across 184 schools in the last 3 years. Over the last 12 months we have strengthen our Board of Trustees and are seeking the Head of Fundraising as a key capability to support our objective to grow our charity and inspire more of our young people to become active and involved.
Watch an example of one of our climate conference events here:
About the role
As Head of Fundraising, your responsibilities will include
- Strategic Planning: Collaborate with the trustees and senior management to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy aligned with the charity’s goals, ensuring it reflects best practices and embraces innovative approaches.
- Fundraising Oversight: Provide guidance and support to the fundraising activities, and ensuring compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and ethical standards. Review and approve fundraising initiatives and campaigns.
- Relationship Building: Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with potential and existing donors, partners, and stakeholders. Represent the charity at external events, engaging with individuals, corporations, and other organizations to generate support and promote fundraising activities.
- Fundraising Development: Stay informed about the latest trends and developments in fundraising, bringing fresh ideas and innovative techniques to enhance the charity’s fundraising efforts. Identify and pursue new fundraising opportunities and diversify income streams.
- Financial Stewardship: Work closely with the finance committee to provide oversight and monitor the financial performance of fundraising activities. Ensure transparency, accountability, and the responsible use of funds.
- Advocacy and Representation: Act as an ambassador for the charity, promoting its mission and values within the community and advocating for its work at a local, regional, or national level. Utilize personal networks and influence to create fundraising opportunities and increase awareness.
- Initiate and complete fundraising applications and submissions and track them through to decisions.
Preferred Skills and Qualities:
- Proactive, self-motivated, resilient, engaged, creative and able to manage time effectively
- Demonstrated experience and success in fundraising, preferably within the charitable or nonprofit sector.
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques, donor stewardship, and campaign management.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning abilities, with the capacity to translate vision into actionable plans.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and inspire diverse stakeholders.
- Financial acumen and the ability to analyse financial reports and budgets.
- Understanding of legal and regulatory requirements related to fundraising, governance, and charitable activities.
- Commitment to the mission, values, and objectives of the charity.
- Integrity, ethical conduct, and a willingness to act in the best interests of the charity and its beneficiaries.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a Charity board, contributing constructively to discussions and decision-making processes.
Should you be interested in applying for the role, please send a short note of motivation and CV to our Finance Trustee, Julian Parkin (email@example.com) by 18th August 2023.